Respite supports are provided through SC Department of Disabilities and Special Needs. These are short-term supports necessary because of a caregiver absence or caregiver relief.
- Previously termed Respite Caregivers, respite supports are provided by what are now termed Household Employees
- Household Employees are subject to withholding of taxes and will receive a W2
The following people cannot be paid to provide respite support:
- A primary caregiver
- The spouse of the person needing support
- A parent, step-parent, foster parent or legal guardian of a minor child
- A court-appointed guardian of an adult needing support
- Parent or step-parent of an adult waiver recipient who resides in the same household as the person receiving support
Individuals wanting to become a newly certified Household Employee should contact the SC Respite Coalition Training Program.
SC Respite Coalition Training Program
PO Box 493
Columbia, SC 29202
Toll free: 1 (866) 345-6786
(803) 935-5229 (Fax)
Training videos for recertification can be viewed by clicking on the link below:
Families wishing to become a Household Employer should contact their Case Manager to begin the process.