2725 Banny Jones Ave W. Columbia, SC 29170 [email protected] 803-799-1970

2009 Christmas in Columbia Ornament of Opportunity – Adluh Flour **SOLD OUT**

$13.00

In keeping with the spirit of the season, the Babcock Center Foundation proudly presents the 2009 “Official City Ornament.” This year’s ornament depicts the Adluh Flour Mill.

Out of stock

Category:

Description

Adluh Flour Mills produces flour and cornmeal products in a plant that is listed on the National Register of Historic Properties. In 1942 there were 42 operating mills located in South Carolina. Today only one of these remains-Adluh Flour Mills in Columbia.

Adluh Flour Mills began in Columbia, SC around 1900. It was initially operated and controlled by B.R. Crooner and family. In 1920 the company merged with the Columbia Grain and Provision Co., owned by J. H. Hardin. These families operated the mill until First Commercial National Bank took over the operations under foreclosure. The Allen family from Wadesboro, NC, bought the plant in June 1926 from the bank and have operated it ever since. The Allen’s have been operating grist mills in Wadesboro, Peachland, and Mebane, North Carolina since the early 1800’s. In 1936 the family decided to move its Mebane plant to Greenwood, SC, where it began grinding and producing flour, corn meal, and feeds in 1937. Of the two South Carolina mills, only the Columbia mill still open. It produces flour, cornmeal, mixes, breaders, and feed products today–grinding wheat and yellow corn that is almost exclusively grown in South Carolina, and white corn from Kentucky and Tennessee farmers.